We believe it is our purpose to solve challenges on this scale.
- UCLA is uniquely positioned to address this challenge. We have the breadth and depth of resources and infrastructure, the interconnected network of visionaries, and we are committed to making a difference.
- With its large student population, UCLA has a particular interest in depression, which frequently manifests itself during the college years. This disease prevents some students from engaging and taking advantage of this special time in their lives, and we want to ensure all our students have full lives and only opportunity ahead of them.
- UCLA is home to luminaries in all fields relevant to solving the depression challenge, including neuroscience, behavioral science, genetics, economics, public health, engineering, business, medicine, public policy and the humanities, storytelling and the arts. In addition, we have been at the forefront of brain science for decades.
- All of these experts are located within a 10-minute walk of each other on our single campus site.
- Multidisciplinary collaboration is fundamental to this university and imperative to solving complex challenges like this one.
Size & scope
- The diverse patient population served by the UCLA Health System facilitates the recruitment of a representative research cohort of unprecedented size.
- By applying many diverse perspectives and approaches to the study of depression, we will ultimately have the most comprehensive picture of the human brain to date.